Other dosage forms: tablets .
: 35 р. Average online price * : 35 r.
Where can one buy:
Instructions for use
Everybody had a herpetic infection. For adults, it is familiar as a rash on the lip, and for children - like chickenpox. Unlike many other types of virus, there are very effective drugs for herpes infections. One of them is Acyclovir.
Acyclovir is available in the form of tablets, ophthalmic and conventional ointment, cream and solutions for intravenous administration.
Indications for the use of ointments are:
- Herpes infection , including genital herpes and herpes of newborns;
- Shingles ;
- Herpetic keratitis.
Mode of application
Acyclovir in the form of ointment is intended for local skin use only. The ointment is not applied to the mucous membranes, including genital, due to the low degree of absorbability.
The most effective treatment will be started at the very beginning of the disease or even before the first clinical signs appear.
The ointment should be applied to the skin where the rash appeared, as well as the adjacent skin, 5 times a day, preferably with the same interval.
Eye ointment, lay for the lower eyelid, too, 5 times a day to maintain a constant concentration of antiviral agents in the inflammation. The duration of treatment is about 10 days.
After the disappearance of the symptoms of the disease, it is advisable to apply the ointment for another couple of days. If the symptoms do not disappear after the course of treatment, you need to consult a doctor for additional research or replacement of the drug.
There are no special contraindications, as the ointment is applied only externally and does not have a systemic effect. However, in the presence of individual sensitivity to Acyclovir or auxiliary components of the drug, it should not be used.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Detailed studies of the drug in these periods was not conducted. However, due to the lack of systemic action, Acyclovir can be used during pregnancy and lactating women, if the benefits to the patient outweigh the risk to the child.
With an overdose of the drug, no special adverse effects have been identified.
Therefore, the amount of ointment applied does not increase the number of side effects.
Due to individual sensitivity such manifestations are possible:
- peeling and dryness of the skin;
- burning when applied;
- allergic dermatitis (more often on additional components);
- hyperemia and itching;
Active ingredient - Acyclovir - one of the few antiviral agents with proven effectiveness. However, its effect applies only to the Herpesvirus family.
Antiviral action is achieved due to the similarity of acyclovir in chemical structure with the substance that the virus needs for growth and reproduction. In contact with Acyclovir, the virus stops multiplying and dies.
The concentration of acyclovir in the ointment is 5%. Additional components vary, depending on the manufacturer, but the base is always fatty (paraffin, oil).
Rapidly absorbed into the subcutaneous layer, but has no systemic effect. With the appearance of crusts on the skin, the absorption of the drug is significantly deteriorated and the therapeutic effect may be absent.
- For severe manifestations of herpes, ointment may not be enough.
- During sexual intercourse, patients should be protected by a condom, as Acyclovir does not protect against transmission.
- Avoid contact with ointment (normal) in the eyes, oral mucosa and vagina.
- Wash hands before applying the product. You can apply Acyclovir with a cotton swab.
- Additional intake of immunostimulants enhances the effect of the drug.
- With prolonged use (periodically for several years), a decrease in the effectiveness of the drug due to the emergence of virus resistance was observed.
Dispensing pharmacies without a prescription. Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children, at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Shelf life 3 years.
(Leave your feedback in the comments)
* - The average value among several sellers at the time of monitoring is not a public offer.