Other dosage forms: eye ointment, tablets .
Ampoules "Dexamethasone" produces several manufacturers, in addition, there are synonyms:
197 р. Average price online * 197 r. (pack of 25 ampoules)
Where can one buy:
Instructions for use
"Dexamethasone" is a drug that is used as an anti-inflammatory agent, and also relieves allergies and pruritus. The drug belongs to the group of glucocorticoids, so it is used only as directed by the attending physician.
Description and properties
"Dexamethasone" - a broad spectrum hormonal agent. The drug has the following properties:
- effectively relieves inflammation;
- eliminates allergic reactions;
- has anti-shock effect;
- normalizes water balance;
- involved in the synthesis of glycogen;
- maintains glucose homeostasis;
- helps to establish the exchange of sodium and potassium;
- shows immunosuppressive activity;
- relieves itching (on the skin and mucous membranes).
The main component of the drug is dexamethasone, which has a powerful effect on the epicenter of the lesion, allowing you to quickly cope with even the high-intensity inflammatory processes.
"Dexamethasone" for injection is available in the form of a solution in 1 and 2 ml ampoules (25 ampoules per package).
The therapeutic effect comes:
- when administered intravenously - instantly (within 5-15 minutes);
- intramuscularly - after 8 hours.
The drug has a long-lasting effect, which reaches from 3 to 4 weeks (with the introduction of the muscle) and from 3 days to 3 weeks with local use (the introduction of the substance in the affected area).
"Dexamethasone" in the form of injections is usually used for severe inflammatory processes, as well as allergic reactions to external stimuli (as a rule, in emergency cases) .
The indications for the use of Dexamethasone injections are:
- brain tumors, accompanied by the formation of edema;
- swelling of the brain resulting from traumatic brain injury or surgery;
- bronchial asthma (in acute stage);
- acute bronchitis;
- dysfunction (acute failure) of the adrenal cortex;
- shock (including anaphylactic shock );
- therapy of lymphoma and leukemia in patients over 18 years of age;
- leukemia (acute) in pediatric patients;
- hypercalcemia on the background of oncological diseases (in case of impossibility of oral use);
- the need for a diagnostic study of the adrenal cortex;
- conjunctivitis and other eye diseases (if there is a risk of loss of vision or significant deterioration of it);
- fibro-compacted folliculitis;
- ring-shaped granuloma;
- severe allergy attacks (extreme);
- lesions of the joints, accompanied by inflammation of non-infectious nature.
Dosage and administration
"Dexamethasone" before use must be diluted with saline or glucose, while it is strictly forbidden to mix the drug with other drugs (in a single syringe or dropper bottle).
The initial dosage for adult patients is 0.5-0.9 mg (administered by intravenous or intramuscular route), after which it is possible to adjust the dosage regimen if necessary.
The drug should be administered by jet method (shots) or infusion (dropper). The duration of therapy is 3-4 days, after which the patient is transferred to the oral intake. The daily dosage of "Dexamethasone" is 4-20 mg (determined by the doctor, based on the patient's condition and other factors).
Dosing of the drug with other methods of administration
|Type of administration||Dosage|
|Intra-articular (common)||0.4-4 mg|
|Introduction to large joints||2-4 mg|
|Introduction to small joints||0.8-1 mg|
|Introduction to the synovial sac||2-3 mg|
|Vagina tendon insertion||0.4-1 mg|
|Tendon introduction||1-2 mg|
|Local administration (in the affected area)||0.4-4 mg (maximum 2 times)|
|Introduction to soft tissue||2-6 mg|
The drug in the area of the joint is injected only once, the subsequent introduction is allowed after 3-4 months. The total number of injections per year (in one joint) should not exceed 3-4 times, otherwise there is a risk of damage to the cartilage tissue.
Dosing of the drug when used in children (only by the intramuscular method)
|Indications||Dosage||Frequency of use|
|Adrenal insufficiency||23.3 mcg / kg||3 injections (put once every three days)|
|7.76-11.65 µg / kg||1 time per day|
|Other indications||27.76-166.65 µg / kg||Every 12-24 hours|
“Dexamethasone” in injections is used in short courses, however, there are certain limitations for its use, for example:
- fungal and viral diseases of the organs of vision, purulent infections of the eyes, trachoma, glaucoma, corneal pathology (for use in ophthalmology);
- infectious diseases in the absence of treatment (viral, fungal and bacterial);
- Cushing's syndrome;
- idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (for injection into the muscle);
- intolerance to the components of the drug.
Caution should be applied "Dexamethasone" to persons who have the following diagnoses:
- cirrhosis of the liver;
- renal dysfunction;
Note! Use during pregnancy is possible only for health reasons.
The following undesirable consequences were diagnosed during the formulation of Dexamethasone injections:
- redness of the skin in the face and neck;
- heartbeat failures;
- nervous irritability;
- orientation disorder in space;
- euphoria, hallucinations;
- increased intraocular pressure;
- local reactions (with local administration);
- burning and numbness at the injection site;
- vision loss
The drug is sold by prescription. Shelf life - 2 years from the date of production. Store in the refrigerator or at room temperature (no higher than 25 degrees).
(Leave your feedback in the comments)
* - The average value among several sellers at the time of monitoring is not a public offer.