Before proceeding to the procedure, we remind you that for rinsing you need to use a solution of 0.05% - in this form it is sold in pharmacies. Dilute is not necessary. But it is not worthwhile to apply even more concentration, it can be dangerous.
And yet, do not forget that getting chlorhexidine in the stomach is dangerous at any concentration. If this happens by accident, it is highly recommended to induce vomiting. Then take a dozen tablets of activated carbon, washed down with plenty of water.
For the same reason, children are not recommended to gargle or mouth chlorhexidine. The second reason why children should not prescribe it at all is the bitter taste. You will hold the course of such a rinse for the child, and he will never be treated again for anything.
Strictly speaking, there are a large number of antiseptics for the mouth and throat, both in the form of sprays and in the form of solutions. Ready, or for example bags for brewing. Therefore, before starting a similar procedure, consult your doctor, you may be more suited to another tool, such as Miramistin .
Chlorhexidine burns mucous membranes, sometimes causes more severe symptoms if there is an allergy or idiosyncrasy. Before first use, apply a few drops of the solution to the elbow bend and follow the reaction for half an hour. If there is no strong irritation and burning, then everything is in order.
If a doctor has prescribed such rinses for you, or there is no other medication at hand, then the procedure is as follows :
- It is better to rinse your mouth and throat with warm water (36 ° C) first. This has several advantages - it washes away food residues, moisturizes the mucous, if it is dry, washes pus from the tonsils if it is, etc., so the effectiveness of any rinse increases.
- The manual says that 10-15 ml is enough for rinsing, which is about half a tablespoon. If this is enough for you - well, if not - add more, no big deal.
- Rinse for about 30 seconds to a minute. Do not hold too long, the mucous is not iron :)
- One such "call" is enough. The second is possible only in severe cases and only with the permission of the doctor.
- Rinse your mouth with water after the procedure is not necessary. The first few minutes is better to spit saliva, do not swallow.
- Food is not recommended to take an hour or two after rinsing. Do not brush your teeth as much.
For the throat procedure is carried out 2-3 times a day. The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor. Prolonged use usually causes side effects, see below.
Chlorhexidine may be prescribed after dental surgery. In this case, the right to do not rinse a "bath" - just keep the solution next to the sick (or already healthy) tooth. Also 2-3 times a day.
The usual duration of a chlorhexidine rinse course is 7-10 days. Possible side effects, especially with a long course and if you keep the drug in the mouth for a long time:
- Staining of tooth enamel;
- A violation of taste.
Usually, these symptoms disappear after discontinuation of the drug, only about tartar is better to contact a dentist.
What can replace the drug if it is so dangerous?
Well, firstly, rinsing is used for different purposes. If the doctor prescribed it after surgery or in case of severe sore throat, then there is no way out. Is that to come to the doctor again and consult about analogues.
If rinsing is necessary for a common cold, then the mass options:
- Lollipops: Faringosept, Strepsils, Coldact Lorpils, Septolete.
- Aerosols: Bioparox, Hexoral, Kameton, Proposol.
- Solutions: Stomatoidin, Stopangin, Rotokan.
And many others.
As a rule, in any pharmacy several shelves are filled with local antiseptics, and any pharmacist will help you find the right one according to budget and by properties.