Due to the high prevalence of fungal events, there are many samples of ointments on the pharmaceutical market, both effective and not very good. How to understand such a variety, and whether ointments are effective at all?
Advantages and disadvantages of antifungal ointments
Ointment against fungus on the feet has a number of obvious advantages. These include:
- Large spectrum of action. You can purchase both universal ointments and creams, as well as specialized ones to eliminate the infection only on the nails or between the fingers.
- Overall availability and relatively low cost.
- Ease of use and ease of application of medication.
Despite its advantages, ointments are characterized by certain disadvantages or, more precisely, warnings. Firstly, it is highly undesirable to engage in self-treatment. It is, except that it is permissible in the waiting period for the results of medical tests.
Secondly, the ointment does not have a complex effect on the causative agent of the disease. According to 85% of medics, the highest efficacy of treatment of the fungus between the toes with ointments was achieved only in the case of an additional intake of antimycotic drugs.
Thirdly, treatment with ointment alone threatens the occurrence of relapse. Since it removes the external manifestations of the disease, but is practically powerless before the infection itself.
List of ointments
If we consider anti-mycotic ointments separately, then at the moment it is possible to identify some very effective, and therefore popular. Consider them alternately (in alphabetical order).
Zalain For the treatment of nail fungus on the legs, Zalain ointment is applied twice a day and lasts from 2 weeks to one month. During this period, the nitrate certifonazole, which is part of the cream, has time to destroy the cells of the harmful fungus. Among the contraindications can be noted except that individual hypersensitivity to the components of the drug. The ointment is applied twice a day to the affected area. The duration of therapy is 2-4 weeks.
Candide (instruction, price, where to buy) Purpose - the elimination of nail and skin fungus. The central substance in the composition of the drug is clotrimazole , which destroys the spore membrane of the fungus. Application is to apply ointment to infected sites 2-3 times a day. The term of therapy is 4-5 months, but may vary. At least it must be remembered that the procedure for applying the medicine does not stop even for one month after the removal of the fungus.
Contraindications include increased susceptibility to the drug and liver disease.
Lamisil One of the safest and most effective antifungal agents. Perhaps this is due to the active substance terbinafine . The ointment is applied with a thin layer on the base of the nail and on the adjacent skin and rubbed. The process is repeated 1-2 times a day. The course of therapy lasts from 14 days to 1 month. Usually the first results are noticeable after the first two weeks. If no improvement is observed, then Lamisil is recommended to be replaced with another drug.
The drug is allowed for both adults and kids from 2 years.
Contraindications: chronic kidney disease, liver failure, hypersensitivity to medication components.
Restrictions on the use: age indicators (children under 3 years), pregnancy, liver and kidney damage.
Exoderil (also available as drops ). The active ingredient is naftifine hydrochloride. The ointment is applied to the infected nail and the surrounding healthy skin areas twice a day. Treatment takes from two to six months. Another classification of antimycotic ointments
In addition to the recognized pharmaceutical agents against the fungus on the legs, ointment treatment also consists of unbranded drugs. This list includes:
- Salicylic ointment. The affected area is lubricated 1-3 times a day and held for 10-20 days.
- Zinc ointment. Recommended for pregnant women who are breastfeeding, as well as for small children. Apply 4-5 times a day.
- Sulfuric ointment. The medicine is used twice a day for a maximum of 7 days.
Recommendations for applying ointments against the fungus
To increase the effectiveness of the above ointments, you should pay attention to a few simple but mandatory rules. It is necessary:
- Before applying the medication, thoroughly clean (wash in hot water with soap) and dry the feet. You can add herbs or soda to the water.
- Apply a thin layer of ointment, rubbing a little into the affected nail, as well as in the periungual area.
- Regularly handle shoes and household items that are in contact with an infected leg.
- Avoid penetration of the ointment on the mucous membranes (nose, mouth and eyes).
- Conduct simultaneous treatment of all infected areas of the skin and nails.
- If the affected area is near the scalp, use antifungal shampoo for prevention.
Finally, the last rule: if after two weeks of self-therapy there is no improvement, you should definitely consult a doctor.