In connection with the high prevalence of fungal phenomena, a lot of ointment samples are presented on the pharmaceutical market, both effective and not so. How to understand such a variety, and if the ointments are effective at all?
Advantages and disadvantages of antifungal ointments
Ointment against the fungus on the legs has a number of obvious advantages. These include:
- A large spectrum of action. You can buy, as a universal ointment and cream, and specialized to eliminate infection only on the nails or between the fingers.
- General availability and relatively low cost.
- Easy to use and easy to apply.
Despite their advantages, ointments are characterized by certain drawbacks or, more precisely, warnings. First, it is extremely undesirable to engage in self-medication. It, except that it is permissible in the period of waiting for the results of medical analyzes.
Secondly, the ointment does not have a complex effect on the causative agent of the disease. According to the statements of 85% of physicians, the greatest effectiveness of treatment of the fungus between the toes with ointments was achieved, only in case of additional intake of antimycotic drugs.
Thirdly, the treatment with one ointment threatens the appearance of relapse. Since it removes the external manifestations of the disease, but is practically powerless before the infection itself.
List of ointments
If we consider antimycotic ointments separately, at the moment we can identify some particularly effective, and therefore popular. Consider them in turn (in alphabetical order).
Zalain For treatment of the nail fungus on the feet, the Zalain ointment is applied twice a day and lasts from 2 weeks to one month. During this period, nitrate serticonazole, which is in the cream, has time to destroy the cells of the harmful fungus. Among the contraindications can be noted except that individual hypersensitivity to the components of the drug. Ointment is applied twice a day to the affected areas. The duration of therapy is 2-4 weeks.
Candide (instruction, price, where to buy) The purpose is to eliminate the fungus of nails and skin. The central substance in the composition of the drug is clotrimazole , which destroys the membrane of fungal spores. The application is to apply ointment to infected areas 2-3 times a day. Term of therapy is 4-5 months, but it can vary. At least you need to remember that the procedure for applying the medicine does not stop even for one month after the removal of the fungus.
Contraindications include increased susceptibility to the drug and liver disease.
Lamisil One of the safest and most effective antifungal agents. Perhaps this is due to the active substance terbinafine . Ointment is applied in a thin layer on the base of the nail and on the adjacent skin areas and rubbed into it. The process repeats 1-2 times a day. The course of therapy lasts from 14 days to 1 month. Usually the first results are noticeable after the first two weeks. If no improvement is observed, then Lamisil should be replaced with another drug.
The medicine is allowed for both adults and children from 2 years.
Contraindications: chronic kidney disease, liver failure, hypersensitivity to the components of the medication.
Restrictions on the use: age indicators (children under 3 years), pregnancy, liver and kidney damage.
Exoderyl (also available in the form of drops ) The active ingredient is naphthyfine hydrochloride. The ointment is applied to the infected nail and surrounding healthy areas of the skin twice a day. Treatment lasts from two to six months. Another classification of antimycotic ointments
In addition to the recognized pharmaceuticals against leg fungus, treatment with ointments also consists of unbranded drugs. This list includes:
- Salicylic ointment. The affected area is lubricated 1-3 times a day and is carried out for 10-20 days.
- Zinc ointment. Recommended for pregnant women breastfeeding, as well as small children. Applied 4-5 times a day.
- Sulfuric ointment. The medicine is used twice a day for no more than 7 days.
Recommendations for applying ointments against fungus
To increase the effectiveness of the above ointments, you should pay attention to a few simple, but mandatory rules. It is necessary:
- Before the application procedure, thoroughly clean (wash in hot water with soap) and dry your feet. In the water, you can add herbs or soda.
- Apply a thin layer of ointment, rubbing slightly into the affected nail, as well as into the peri-osedal region.
- Regularly handle shoes and household items in contact with the infected leg.
- Avoid penetration of the ointment on mucous membranes (nose, mouth and eyes).
- Carry out simultaneous treatment of all infected areas of skin and nails.
- If the affected area is near the scalp, use an antifungal shampoo for prevention.
Finally, the last rule: if after two weeks of self-therapy there is no improvement, you should definitely consult a doctor.