Systemic, local and combination therapy
Go to the full list of drugs
Preparations against thrush
How to treat nail fungus on the legs? This can be done in three ways. If the tool is applied to the nail plate, the method is called local . If the drugs to eliminate the fungal infection are taken by mouth, then the method is considered systemic . Systemic treatment is not safe. Read more ..
And from the local I would like to highlight some. Medicines for nail fungus:
- Set Mikospor - able to cure the nail for 2 weeks, which is its unique property. But the treatment is quite aggressive, the damaged part of the nail is gradually removed in the process of treatment and this can cause discomfort.
- Exoderil (solution) - penetrates well into the nail, is effective against most fungi and is also harmless. The disadvantages in the instructions are described, but their probability is extremely small. Apply until it grows clean nail.
- Lac Batrafen - not cheap, but it lasts for a long time, because rarely need to be applied (from 1 time in 2 days at the very beginning to 1 time per week). One bottle on average is enough for a thumbnail.
Creams and ointments for nails can be used, but it is inconvenient - for better absorption it is necessary to “make a compress” - apply cotton wool with a cream to the nail and glue with a plaster. Apply in this way you need 2 times a day. And the efficiency will be lower. On the leg, for example, the nail grows six months or a year, so you decide what to choose.
- Clotrimazole - a mass remedy. Treats most mushrooms, side effects and contraindications at least worth a penny.
- Terbinafine and its analogues - the widest possible range of action and a small number of contraindications, see instructions.
- Triderm (or Akriderm GK ) - universal multi-component means. If you do not know exactly what you have - the ointment will relieve itching and symptoms, destroy the fungus and help with dermatitis and other sores (not all!). If symptoms do not go away consult a doctor.
- Ecodax is inexpensive and extremely effective, but it has many side effects and acts quite aggressively on the skin. If side effects occur, treatment should be stopped immediately.
Remember, the most difficult thing in treating a fungus is not the choice of medicine. It is most difficult to remember to carry out the procedure daily and not to abandon the treatment halfway through.
Any doctor will tell you how to treat nail fungus on the legs. First of all, it drops, varnishes and of course ointment.
Well, with the defeat of the scalp, you first need
pay attention to shampoos
If it is impossible to cure nail fungus using ointments and creams, then they resort to systemic treatment, that is, taking antifungal drugs orally. A dermatologist will definitely prescribe systemic antifungal drugs if:
- Fungus in advanced stage ;
- Half of the nail is affected;
- There is hyperkeratosis or oniholysis (thickening of the nail plate or peeling of the nail from the bed).
- 2-3 nails on the leg.
- There is diabetes;
- The patient's age exceeds the bar at 50 years.
There are several names of systemic drugs for the treatment of mycoses . Taking pills from the fungus of the toenails , it should be remembered that:
- The main contraindications to taking systemic drugs are pregnancy, lactation, and liver diseases.
- If the doctor cannot prescribe any drug other than ketoconazole and griseofulvita, then local therapy is needed, and in some cases, removal of the affected nail plate.
- The shorter the duration of treatment, the less likely the occurrence of side effects.
Ointments and varnishes
It is considered that the combined treatment for nails is most justified. Of course, without local drugs - nowhere. It is better to use special varnishes , but you should not forget about ointments too. Indications for the appointment of local treatment are:
- Initial stage;
- Lesion of less than half of the nail;
- 1 or 2 nail damage;
- Moderate subungual hyperkeratosis.
In order for local antifungal agents to destroy fungi, doctors either remove the affected horn nail structures or prescribe special nail polishes.
Thus, the treatment of nail fungus toes with local medicines is carried out in two stages:
- Removal of fungal areas of the nail.
- Use of antifungal drugs.
At the first stage, the stratum corneum is removed mechanically (using nippers and nail scissors). The person himself does this once every 10-15 days, necessarily lubricating the remaining parts of the nail with alcohol or iodine. On an outpatient basis, the affected nail is removed by keratolytic patches, in which, in addition to the antiseptic and antifungal agent, salicylic acid or urea is included. They change such a plaster in 2-3 days: the hyperketarolytic masses are removed, local preparations are applied and the nail plate is again sealed.
Remove the affected nail can be surgically, but resort to this method when other treatments are not available or ineffective.
In the second stage, local antifungal agents are applied to the surface of the treated nail plate. They are much more than the system. They are divided into:
- local antimycotics;
- local antiseptics;
- multi-component drugs.
The use of local antimycotics gives a good result, since they are effective against many pathogens of onychomycosis and are produced in a form suitable for the treatment of fungal infections - nail polish. This is mikospor, batrafen, pilot.
Use them like this:
Step 1: Remove the affected areas.
Step 2: The nail file attached to the varnish creates an uneven nail plate.
Step 3: Apply varnish with a spatula or brush.
If the lacquer has already been applied to the nail, then it should be removed with an alcohol swab attached to the lacquer (the nail is dipped in a warm bath and then scraped with a scissors lip). The duration of treatment with varnishes can vary from 9 to 12 months. In this case, the varnish is applied 1 or 2 times a week. Read more ..
Now, most likely, you will not be wondering "How to treat the nail fungus on your feet?" as well as other varieties of mycoses. The list of drugs is constantly updated, we regularly monitor prices and publish reviews. Choose the one that suits you best and be healthy!
Note .: Ointments and creams that are presented in pharmacies are available for skin treatment rather than onychomycosis. However, if they are applied to the bare nail bed, they help to treat the nail fungus on the legs.