So, women often suffer hands. This fact is explained simply: women often get a manicure, and nail fungus appears due to poorly processed tools. Men spend most of the day in closed shoes, where fungi reproduce well in humid and warm conditions. Of course, the fungus can be picked up in the pool, and while trying on shoes in the store, and even during a handshake with an old friend on the street, but the main thing in the event of infection is not the place, but the speed of detection of the fungus and the selection of an adequate drug for treatment.
It does not immediately begin to manifest itself as a nail finger fungus, and the first signs can be easily confused with irritation of the skin and the consequence of injury. In time to notice the enemy who is trying to spoil the appearance of the nails and degrade the quality of life, we suggest studying the full list of symptoms of nail fungus on your hands.
Nail color change
The first thing that catches your eye is a change in the color of the nail plate. Ideally, a nail bed rich in blood vessels should appear through it (therefore, the nail has a pink color). When under the nail or on it settles and the fungus begins to multiply actively, the color of the nail plate changes.
- If the fungus is embedded on the surface, it may become white or yellowish in color. This is explained by the fact that horny masses begin to accumulate between the bed and the nail plate. This form is most often diagnosed on the palms of women.
- The nail turns greenish when infected with mold fungi.
- Also, the nail can become purple, brown, black when infected with yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida.
Below are examples of nail plates, both arms and legs, affected by various types of mycosis . The color of the nail depends on the disease and manifests itself equally on the hands and feet :
Warning: small stripes or spots on the skin may also appear due to nail injury. Trauma can also cause hemorrhages in the nail bed when the nail turns black.
Thickening / thinning of the nail plate
Normally, the surface of the nail plate should be convex, shiny and smooth, and its thickness should be from 0.5 mm. on brushes up to 1 mm. on the feet. With onychomycosis, the nail can:
- Look concave (this phenomenon is called koilonichia). The reason - the increased in the size of the nail bed.
- To be thickened (in medicine - hyperkeratosis). The plate increases at times in response to inflammation.
Nail stratification and lagging it from the bed
When the fungus for a long time affects the nail, it begins to peel off from the bed. Under the nail gets air, which further aggravates the situation. Immediately make a reservation that in most cases the nail is not separated from the bed by more than half.
The nail can be split and exfoliate in the transverse direction (see photo nail fungus on the photo), and most often it occurs on 2, 3, 4 fingers. The nail at the same time grows as usual, but then splits up to 2-3 layers.
In addition, the nail becomes loose and brittle, transverse and longitudinal grooves may appear on it.
Types of fungal infection
Based on various signs of nail fungus on their hands, scientists identify 3 types of onychomycosis of the hands.
|View||Signs of defeat|
Each of these fungi can provoke a different course of the disease. However, the most common are:
- Candidiasis. The fungus that causes this disease is constantly present in the human body and is a natural saprophyte. With the weakening of the immune system or disruptions in the functioning of the body, saprophytes turn into parasites. Also, antibiotics, vitamin deficiency and even banal abuse of sweets can provoke the rebirth of the fungus. Permanent mechanical effects can also affect: frequent injuries of the nails, prolonged presence of brushes in a moist environment, contact with damaged fruits (fungi actively reproduce on them). The disease is characterized by damage to the nails and periungual ridges and often housewives, people working in the confectionery industry, children suffer from it.
- Onychomycosis is a complex infectious disease that affects the periungual ridges and the entire nail. It is transmitted from the carrier, i.e. You can get sick with nail fungus on your fingers only after talking with an infected person (just shake hands or try on a glove). Sometimes infection occurs after contact with mold, parasitic on the fruit.
- Sporotrichosis is a disease that affects mainly animal lovers. Infection occurs by falling into the microcracks on the skin of the hands of fungi. Children and veterinarians are at risk.
- Dermatophytosis. Under the definition of this disease falls several diseases, and the causes of their occurrence are not fully understood. The treatment is based entirely on laboratory tests.
Causes of Infections
The root cause of infection, of course, fungus.
So, if the yeast of the fingernails is to blame, then the roller starts to suffer first: the side or back. It becomes thickened, it hurts to touch it, puffiness appears, and sometimes even a small amount of pus is released. Then the infection spreads to the nail: the furrows begin to appear on it. If the fungus under the nails on the hands due to T.rubrum, then first appear gray or white spots / stripes in the center of the nail. Thickening is noted only at the free edge.
Secondary causes of nail fungus on the hands are favorable conditions for the life of infectious agents. It is more reasonable to call them factors. So, most often the fungus on the hands occurs in women employed in laundries and in women-confectioners, workers in canning factories. These categories have to work with sugars and keep their hands in water for a long time. The probability of a fungus disease increases with age (in children, onychomycosis is practically not diagnosed, but in the elderly the diagnosis is confirmed in 90% of cases). In addition, the chance to pick up the fungus is higher in individuals:
- Having a tendency to hyperhidrosis of the hands;
- Manicure yourself or at home with a layperson;
- Often sick and having comorbidities (diabetes).
Having found the first manifestations of a fungus on the nails of the hands, it is worth making an appointment with a mycologist or a dermatologist, and make sure that the nail plates began to change precisely because of an infection. The sooner the treatment is started, the sooner it will be completed. Nails always attract attention. In advanced cases, the nail-warped nail is removed, and it will take at least 6 months to grow a new one.