Tetracycline in different dosage forms ( tablets , ointment) are produced by different manufacturers. There are no synonyms.
: Average online price * :
Ointment 3% 15 g - 41 p.
Eye ointment 1% 3 g - 51 p.
Where can one buy:
Instructions for use
Tetracycline ointment is a bacteriostatic drug that suppresses pathogens at the protein level. Its active ingredient is able to cope with many bacterial pathogens, but is ineffective against group A streptococci, viruses and fungi.
There are two forms of ointment - for external use (3%) and ophthalmic (1%).
Ointment 1% is used in the treatment of the following eye infections:
- Conjunctivitis, barley and blepharitis;
- Chlamydial inflammations (banging) along with taking other antibiotics;
- Prevention of infectious processes after surgery or injury.
Ointment 3% is used in the treatment of the following skin diseases:
- Acne (acne);
- Pustular infections;
- Inflammations of the female external genital organs (vulvitis).
Dosage and administration
In the treatment of eye diseases, the application of an ointment occurs daily for the lower eyelid, which is delayed by fingers with squeezing 3-5 mm onto the mucosa. drug, while avoiding contact with the tube tissue, and wiping the tip of a clean material every time after use to prevent dirt from entering inside.
- For redness of the mucous membranes of the eyes, discomfort and purulent secretions, the drug is used until the complete cessation of symptoms plus 2 for prevention;
- With trachoma, the treatment lasts from 24 to 17 days under the supervision of an ophthalmologist to prevent complications such as loss of vision, scarring, or changes in the cornea;
- After surgery or injury, ointment is applied for 2-3 days.
The course of treatment for various diseases is as follows:
- For acne, the course is 1 to 8 weeks. depending on the severity of the disease;
- For inflammation of hair follicles and pustular infections, eczema and ulcers are treated by applying a compress from a gauze bandage with a densely applied layer of ointment for up to 12 hours with a daily repetition of the procedure until complete healing;
- When vulvitis inflammation is treated for 1 week.
Ointment is contraindicated in the following diseases:
- Extensive fungal lesions (mycosis);
- Allergies to antibiotics tetracycline;
- Manifestations of liver failure;
- Decrease in the number of leukocytes in the blood;
- A stomach ulcer.
The drug is contraindicated in children under 8 years of age due to the negative effect of the active ingredient on tooth enamel during the period of development of the bones in a child. The use of ointment in newborns causes the appearance of fatty hepatosis.
Pregnancy and lactation
Despite poor absorption, eye ointment is not used during pregnancy and lactation, as the negative effect of the drug on the formation of the fetal skeleton and the risk of further development of the enamel hypoplasia of the child has been proven. Application is possible only as a last resort if the benefits of treatment justify the risks to the fetus.
With strict adherence to the recommendations for the use of the drug does not cause an overdose.
After using the drug, the following side effects are possible:
- Visual impairment in the form of increased sensitivity to light - photosensitization;
- Allergic reaction on the skin - rash, itching, inflammation;
- Darkening of tooth enamel (with prolonged use);
- Fungal infections (candidiasis).
Composition and pharmacokinetics
Ointment in the form of a yellow thick mass, having a weak peculiar smell, is produced in aluminum tubes with a volume of from 5 to 50 g.
The active ingredient is tetracycline hydrochloride (0.01 or 0.03 g), petroleum jelly and lanolin act as auxiliary components.
The drug belongs to the tetracycline range of antibiotics. The active substance inhibits the formation of protein structures in bacteria. Being in the blood, does not form complex compounds with plasma proteins. It has a detrimental effect on the following groups of microorganisms:
- Staphylococcus and Streptococcus;
- E. coli;
- Spirochetes and reckes;
The drug does not affect Proteus and fungal infection.
The drug can not be used with penicillin antibiotics, drugs containing antacid, metal ions, retinol or cephalosporins, as well as combined with colestiramine or colestipol, as substances accelerate the absorption of the antibiotic.
Combined use with oleandomycin and erythromycin mutually enhance the therapeutic effect.
Sold without a prescription. Shelf life 3 years. Keep out of reach of children at temperature not exceeding 20 ° C.
(Leave your feedback in the comments)
* - The average value among several sellers at the time of monitoring is not a public offer.