The current list, what today can be found on sale:
, 1160 р. Average online price * , 1160 r.
Where can one buy:
Instructions for use
Valtrex is an antiviral agent prescribed for various herpetic infections .
The therapeutic effect is achieved by converting the active substance of the drug (valacyclovir) to another substance (acyclovir) as a result of reaction with the enzyme varacyclovir hydrolase produced by the liver.
The main function of acyclovir is the inhibition of the synthesis of the DNA of the herpes viruses.
Indications for use
Valtrex can be used to prevent the recurrence of skin infections triggered by any varieties of herpes simplex, as well as to prevent transplant rejection during organ transplants caused by cytomegalovirus infections. Statistical studies confirm a decrease in the probability of transmission of genital herpes virus from an infected partner to a healthy one with suppressive (prophylactic) therapy with Valtrex.
Dosage and administration
The drug is administered orally, without reference to food intake. Tablets should be taken with a small amount of water. For children over 12 years old, Valtrex is prescribed only for the prevention of cytomegalovirus infections and transplant rejection during organ transplantation. For other indications, the drug is intended only for adults.
- In the treatment of genital and labial herpes: 500 mg of the drug 2 times a day for 5 days. With advanced forms of the disease, the duration of therapy can be extended to 10 days.
- When treating herpes zoster: 1000 mg 3 times a day. Therapeutic course - 7 days.
- When suppressive therapy (prevention of recurrent infection of HSV): 500 mg 1 time per day. The duration of admission is determined by the attending physician.
- For the prevention of transmission of the virus of genital herpes from an infected partner to a healthy one: 500 mg once a day. Therapeutic course - 12 months.
- For the prevention of CMV infections in adults and children over 12 years old: 2 g. 4 times a day. The dosage is adjusted depending on the indicators of creatinine clearance.
Hypersensitivity to acyclovir and other components of the drug.
With extreme caution, the agent is prescribed to patients with:
- HIV infection in a clinically pronounced course;
- renal failure;
- undergoing a parallel course of treatment with nephrotoxic drugs.
Pregnancy and lactation
Due to the lack of data on the effects of Valtrex on the body during gestation, it is prescribed to pregnant women only in extreme cases when the potential benefits of the drug are higher than the potential risk to the child.
In unchanged form, valacyclovir is not detected in breast milk or the urine of a newborn. Therefore, it can be prescribed for the treatment of herpes infections during lactation, but with caution.
Side effects with a one-time excess of a therapeutic dose of the drug are not fixed. Regular overdosing is fraught with the following phenomena:
- nausea with vomiting;
- inhibition of thinking.
From the side of the central nervous system possible headaches, dizziness, inhibited thinking. In patients with renal insufficiency, in exceptional cases, encephalopathy, convulsions, and coma may develop.
In rare cases, the organs of the gastrointestinal tract can respond to valaciclovir with vomiting, diarrhea, increased gas formation, skin with itching and rashes, and blood circulation with leukopenia and thrombocytopenia. Renal function disorders, including acute renal failure, are very rarely diagnosed on the part of the excretory system.
Composition and pharmacokinetics
1 tablet of the drug contains 556 mg of the active component valacyclovir hydrochloride. This amount is equivalent to 1 therapeutic dose (500 mg) of varaciclovir. Additional components are:
- microcrystalline cellulose;
- magnesium stearate;
The active component is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, converting to acyclovir and valine under the influence of the hepatic enzyme valacycovirhydralase. Acyclovir is excreted in the urine.
The half-life of acyclovir from blood plasma is about 3 hours (in patients with normal renal function) and about 14 hours in patients with renal insufficiency.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The drug should be stored away from direct sunlight at t not higher than 30 ° C. Valtrex's shelf life is 3 years from the date of issue.
(Leave your feedback in the comments)
* - The average value among several sellers at the time of monitoring is not a public offer.